- A. d = √t
- B. d = 1.6√t
- C. d = 2√t
- D. d = 6√t
According to Unwin’s formula, the relation between the diameter of rivet hole (d) and the thickness of plate (t) is given by (where d and t are in mm)_____.
For high speed engines, the cam follower should move with_____.
- A. Uniform velocity
- B. Simple harmonic motion
- C. Uniform acceleration and retardation
- D. Cycloidal motion
Basic shaft is one_____.
- A. Whose upper deviation is zero
- B. Whose lower deviation is zero
- C. Whose lower as well as upper deviations are zero
- D. Does not exist
A triple riveted butt joint with double straps of unequal width is to be designed for a boiler shell. The pitch of the rivets in the outer row is double the pitch in the inner row and zigzag riveting is proposed. Which of the following statement is correct?
- A. There are four rivets per pitch length, all in double shear
- B. There are four rivets per pitch length, out of which two are in single shear and two are in double shear
- C. There are five rivets per pitch length, all in double shear
- D. There are five rivets per pitch length, out of which four are in double shear and one is in single shear
The gears are termed as medium velocity gears, if their peripheral velocity is_____.
- A. 1-3 m/s
- B. 3-15 m/s
- C. 15-30 m/s
- D. 30-50 m/s
A localized compressive stress at the area of contact between two members is known as_____.
- A. Bending stress
- B. Shear stress
- C. Tensile stress
- D. Bearing stress
Crushing resistance required to crush the rivet per pitch length is_____.
- A. p.d.σc
- B. p.t.σc
- C. n.d.t.σc
- D. (p – d) t.σc
A shaft is subjected to_____.
- A. Bending stresses
- B. Shear stresses
- C. Combined bending and shear stresses
- D. All of these
In a boundary lubricated bearing, there is a _____ of lubricant between the journal and the bearing.
- A. Thick film
- B. Thin film
- C. Either A or B
- D. None of these
In skew bevel gearing, the axes of shafts are_____.
- A. Intersecting and the teeth are curved
- B. Non-intersecting and nonparallel and the teeth are curved
- C. Non-intersecting and non-parallel and the teeth are straight
- D. None of the above